Modern car owners fall into two categories: some of them prefer to go to a car service in order to change a wheel, and some prefer to do it themselves. The second option saves money, but at the same time requires a certain amount of skill from the car owner. However, even a novice car enthusiast can remove the wheel.
- The car must be locked with the parking brake, while engaging the first gear or reverse gear. If a wheel change occurs on the road, be sure to take care not to create an emergency or disturb other road users. In this case, it is necessary to install a special warning triangle behind the car and turn on the hazard warning lights.
- Before removing a wheel, block the wheels on the back of the car with wheel chocks; if you don't have special stops at hand, you can use ordinary bricks or stones found near the roadway.
- If you have to deal with wheels with stamped steel rims, first remove the decorative cap (this operation can be easily performed using a conventional screwdriver, inserting it between the rim and the cap).
- All wheel nuts must be loosened (but only by one turn.) After that, the car must be lifted with a jack (the jack must be installed in the wrong areas of the lateral booster, which are specially designed for this purpose). If you have to remove a wheel in the middle of a very soft road section, a small piece of plank should be placed under the jack to ensure the stability of the structure.
- Once the jack has been engaged, the wheel nuts can be completely unscrewed. The wheel can be removed without much effort, usually just pulling it towards you is enough.
- After the wheel has been replaced, do not forget to carefully tighten the nuts and check the quality of their fastening again after 10-12 kilometers.